Managing your programme
Ensure the programme is well-managed
Form an advisory group:
- Define the advisory group roles and responsibilities;
- Recruit people with diverse backgrounds to serve on the group; and
- Facilitate the advisory group meetings to improve programming and management.
Develop a comprehensive system for managing programme information:
- Manage programme finances;
- Maintain personnel records;
- Track programme activity, such as volunteer hours and matches;
- Document mentor/mentee matches;
- Manage risk; and
- Document programme evaluation efforts.
Design a resource development plan that allows for diversified fundraising:
- Seek in-kind gifts;
- Hold special events;
- Solicit individual donors;
- Seek corporate donations;
- Apply for government funding; and
- Seek foundation grants.
Design a system to monitor the programme:
- Review policies, procedures and operations on a regular basis;
- Collect programme information from mentors, mentees and other participants; and
- Continually assess customer service.
Create a professional staff development plan:
- Provide ongoing staff training; and
- Build on staff members’ skills and knowledge.
Establish a public relations/communications effort:
- Identify target markets;
- Develop a marketing plan;
- Gather feedback from all constituents;
- Develop partnerships and collaborations with other organisations; and
- Recognise mentors, mentees, other programme participants, funders and organisations that sponsor mentoring programmes.