Effective and Safe Practice in Youth Mentoring - Self-Assessment workbook
This Self Assessment Workbook is intended for use alongside the Guide to Effective and Safe Practice in Youth Mentoring (2nd Edition).
It is designed to help your organisation review and evaluate your mentor programme against safe and effective practice; identify the strengths of your programme; and areas for improvement.
It focuses on:
• Section 4 (page 25 of the Guide) - Programme Development, which covers 4 stages from Design and Planning to Management and Evaluation.
• Section 5 (page 34 of the Guide) - Core Elements of Effective Practice, which follows the lifecycle of the mentoring relationship from Recruitment to Closure.
• Self-assessment Checklists to guide learning for your organisation.
• Activities that support the information and content within the Guide.
• Space for you to capture questions, re ections, priorities and actions.
How to use this workbook:
• We recommend that you download and print a copy of this workbook (.pdf format).
• As you work through each section and sub-section of the Guide, complete the corresponding Checklists and Activities in this workbook to evaluate your mentoring programme and identify areas for improvement.
Note: You may determine that some items in the Checklists are NOT applicable to your programme. If you have any questions please email NZYMN - email@example.com
Download the workbook here: NZYMN Effective and Safe Practice in Youth Mentoring_Self Assessment Workbook
Guide to Effective and Safe Practice in Youth Mentoring, Aotearoa New Zealand, 2nd Edition
The New Zealand Youth Mentoring Network is delighted to announce the launch of the second edition of the Guide to Effective and Safe Practice in Youth Mentoring, Aotearoa New Zealand.
The first edition, published in 2008, was a benchmark document that drew together essential knowledge for New Zealand’s emerging youth mentoring sector.
The 2nd edition has been refreshed and updated with the latest research in effective youth mentoring practice, and the new safety checking and child protection policy guidelines introduced as part of the Vulnerable Children’s Act 2014.
Our aim, in producing the 2nd edition is to provide a single Guide for New Zealand that seamlessly promotes safe and effective practice in youth mentoring to help ensure positive outcomes for young people
You may download a .pdf version of the Guide here.
NZYMN Effective Practice Guide, 2nd Edition
To order a printed copy of the Guide, plese send an A4 stamped addressed envelope to:
New Zealand Youth Mentoring Network
P O Box 99726
Standard postage is $3.00
Guide to Effective Practice in Youth Mentoring, New Zealand, 1st Edition
The first edition of the Guide to Effective Practice in Youth Mentoring Aotearoa New Zealand (Guide), published in 2008, was a benchmark document commissioned by the Ministry of Youth Development.
It drew together essential knowledge for the emerging youth mentoring sector, providing an informative local resource for all who were interested in mentoring young people and in enhancing the role of mentoring in the wider youth development sector. In subsequent years, the New Zealand Youth Mentoring Network (NZYMN) has been able to use the Guide as a basis for comprehensive national training programmes. This has brought the mutual benefit of widening understanding of effective practices, along with growing the national picture of the range of youth programmes in which mentoring is a significant component.
Guide to Effective Practice in Youth Mentoring New Zealand, 1st Edition